2011年12月13日火曜日

Osechiii


Today, I would like to introduce Japanese traditional dish “Osechi”.
I think some people might right about same topic…
Anyway I hope you understand the real meaning of it, and develop an interest in traditional dish in Japan.



This is Osechi, I think everyone knows what it is.

Osechi is food prepared for New Year and we usually eat it during the first three days of January.
Also it is all prepared before New Year’s Day so woman don’t have to cook during that period.
The ingredients of Osechi depend on region, so it is a little bit different for each.
Most Japanese people enjoy traditional New Year’s Osechi dishes at this time of year.

The foods in the Osechi each have a special meaning associated with good luck.
I want to explain these foods.


Black beans

It means we work hard and live in health.




Herring roe
It symbolizes a wish to be gifted with children.




Dried sardine
It symbolizes a wish to get a rich harvest of rice.




Shrimp
It symbolizes a wish to stay healthy until we stoop.




Seaweeds
It means delight or joy.




Chestnuts
it means wealth and riches because the color of chestnuts is gold or yellow. So it is lucky food in it.




White and red Namasu
I don’t know how to say Namasu in English.
In japan, white and red means lucky and it symbolizes a wish for peace.

4 件のコメント:

  1. A happy new year!
    I have known the foods in the Osechi each have special meaning but, I did not know what meaning these have exactly, so your blog is very useful for me and I understand.
    I do not like Osechi so much but, I would like to eat it next year with thinking about meaning.
    Thank you.

    返信削除
  2. It seems delicious and luxuary.
    I also eat only black beans every new year days. My grandma makes it for me, so I like it. She says it is easy to cook and cheap. To live a long time, I will eat the beans next year too.

    返信削除
  3. A happy new year :-)
    It looks soooo delicious!
    I know about Osechi food but I didn't know the meaning so it is very interesting for me. I love Osechi so I want to cook!!

    返信削除
  4. I eat Osechi every year and this year too! Since last year, gramma had made osechi. But My mom bought this year! Osechi is really expensive! And I thought my gramma's osechi is more delicious.

    返信削除